NEM FOUNDATION SEPTEMBER 2019 UPDATE
Hi community, September has been a month of hard work with even more progress made toward the Catapult Network launch, and Migration Committee working together tireless towards a successful migration. Please find our summary of the month’s events below.
With the impending launch of Catapult, here’s an update from the Migration Committee. We encourage everyone to review, reflect, and share your thoughts on the important Migration process!
Click here for full details Migration Committee Community Update #1
Brand Steering Committee + Branding Agency Update
An agency has been contracted for branding around Catapult and in-depth market analysis. It’s been key to providing insights for Catapult and the Brand Steering Committee includes Foundation, Studios and Ventures. Forthcoming decisions will be shared with the community.
Tech Team Updates
Part 1 of 3: Catapult Elephant Update Click here
- Latest Core Engine Milestone
- Proof-of-Stake+ (PoS+)
Part 2 of 3: Catapult Elephant Update Click here
- Mosaic Restrictions
- Account Restrictions
Catapult Milestone Elephant 3 has been released! We are getting closer to public launch! https://github.com/nemtech/catapult-server/releases/tag/v0.7.0.1
- Proof-of-Stake+ (PoS+) is the new consensus algorithm of Catapult, the next NEM blockchain core. Learn what NEM Foundation Co-Founder and Council Member Jeff McDonald has to say about PoS+. Full article here
Here’s the September 2019 Tech Update Read full update here.
- Protocol Updates
- Client Integrations
- Software Development Kits
- Peer review of MongoDB Schemas, Configuration and Status Errors
- Working Group for Public Release Migration
- Experimental Testnet for Catapult
AGM and EGM Summary
- Annual General Meeting (AGM) was held on the 29th day of August 2019 at 7:00 pm UTC.
- Only NEM.io Foundation members were given this invitation and could attend the meeting.
- The main purpose of the AGM was to receive and accept the audited accounts for the financial year 2018.
- The Audited accounts were accepted via votes.
- The EGM was held on 13 June 2019 and was to Remove and Appoint Directors of the NEM.io Foundation. During the EGM, Nelson Valero and Chan Ken Leng were removed as Directors and Tan Choon Leng and Laura Takenaka were Appointed as Directors. Both votes passed.
- Following the successful vote during the EGM, the successful completion of the AGM, and after the signing of the directorship paperwork, the Council under Foundation by-law 33, held a vote to appoint Jason Lee as Foundation Vice President and Laura Takenaka as Honourary Secretary.
Global Team Updates
Welcome Our Newest Team Members
- Lewis Farrell- We’re excited to announce that Lewis has come onboard as our new Global Marketing Director. Lewis is an accomplished senior strategic marketing & change management executive with experience in strategic branding, product marketing, events and research. He has worked internationally and domestically for Fortune 500 technology brands amongst others and has proven success in building and implementing product marketing strategies that drive brand awareness, revenue and preference. Lewis will be working very closely with the leadership team to help drive the marketing vision and strategy of Catapult and build the NEM Branding strategy.
We’re also excited to have some new faces join the Tech Team:
Oleg Makarenko has come aboard as a Software Developer.
Alex Huszagh has been working with us previously but has now come on board full time as a Software Developer.
Patrick Spiess has joined as a Network Administrator.
The Foundation is pleased to announce that we have contracted Techemy Co. to provide support to the Japanese NEM community and represent the Foundation to business, industry, and academia. We will be releasing more information and profiles of the Techemy team shortly.
We would also like to inform the community of the departure of Mr. Kondo Rio from the NEM Foundation. Mr. Kondo was the Foundation’s Business Development Lead and Translator in Japan. We thank Mr. Kondo for his service to the Foundation, the Japanese community, and the NEM technology and wish him all the best in his future endeavours.
We have opportunities to join the NEM Foundation team. The jobs can be found on our website link, or reach out to [email protected] for more information.
Foundation in the News
Computer Weekly has featured NEM in its analysis of blockchain technologies and their various applications. Read here.
Crypto Watch Impress covered the release of the Catapult Migration Committee Announcement. Read here. (Japanese)
Coin Choice has also covered the release of the Catapult Migration Committee Announcement. Read their analysis here. (Japanese)
Cointelegraph reports on the Malaysian government expanding E-Skrol – a program to verify Malaysian educational certificates. Read more here.
Japan Community Update
- NEMgraph is the next generation social networking site (SNS), utilizing the NEM blockchain, where you can post photos and allows you to give a tip (on top) just like NEMlog! For more info, click here.
- NEM Tech Book by NEMbers! This is a very exciting initiative by Japanese NEM Community members.
Business Development Updates
- Sabah IT Symposium – NEM and its ecosystem partner, Sabah Net Sdn. Bhd. conducted a full-day Blockchain workshop to equip participants with relevant knowledge and skills during Sabah IT Symposium 2019. Following University Malaysia Sabah (UMS) in digitizing their academic certificate last year November, the participants of this workshop were also awarded a digital certificate – secured and time-stamped by NEM public chain.
- NEM officially inked partnership with University Sabah Malaysia (UMS) during the official opening of the event, witnessed by the Chief Minister of Sabah. Watch the video here.
The two-day symposium was jointly organized by University Malaysia Sabah (UMS), Sabah State Computer Services Department and Sabah Net to talk about the issues, challenges and way forward for Public and Private Sectors of Sabah state in IR40. More photos here.
MTDC Closed-door Forum – Our Business Development Director, Leroy Mah together with other panellists from MIGHT – Malaysian Industry Government Group for High Technology and Bitcoin Malaysia to untangle blockchain technology and how it will solve some existing real life problems during the closed door session with Malaysian Technology Development Corporation (MTDC). More photos here.
- Malaysia Blockchain & Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) Report 2019 – Check this out for an in-depth outlook of local Malaysian landscape where NEM as one of the stakeholders in Malaysia’s Blockchain Ecosystem. Full report here.
BVAM Syndication Lab Session with Key Stakeholders
Blockchain Village @Medini (BVAM) is a project backed by the government to develop the Southern area of Malaysia, Iskandar Puteri as the nation’s Blockchain Hub. Four strategic areas have been identified as the key pillars of the hub – namely Talent, Infrastructure, Promotion and Policy.
Along with other key stakeholders, Business Development Director, Leroy Mah and Business Development Manager, Jesyka Hiu shared views and ideas to prepare BVAM not just as the national but also a regional hub for significant investment, financial and business opportunities. The syndication lab session has gathered thoughts and constructive feedback from government agencies, industry players and professionals to ensure a healthy and sustainable development in the future.
We will be speaking at the National University of Malaysia (UKM) Blockchain Talks series on 26 September 2019. This is a pre-launching series of a 2-year Blockchain sandbox programme where the end goal is to move this initiative towards influencing country policy makers and regulators as well as to create a national Blockchain framework.
NEM is the official blockchain partner of The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) for KPMG Cyber Technology Challenge Event 2019. The national final is set on 25 September, One World Hotel Bandar Utama.
- Train-the-Trainers workshop with the University of Santo Tomas (UST), Polytechnic University of the Philippines (Official) (PUP) and Lyceum of the Philippines University Manila (LPU) held last July 30-31 on UST campus.
- The NEM Team with the iACADEMY Nexus professors during the “Train-the-Trainers” workshop held last July 29 and August 5, 2019.
- The NEM Team with the STI College Academic Center professors during the “Train-the-Trainers” workshop held last August 20 and 22, 2019.
- The NEM Team with the AMA University, ABE International and ACLC College professors during the “Train-the-Trainers” workshop held last August 27 and 29, 2019.
- Council Member Pedro Gutierrez was interviewed live on the South American news channel NTN24, to talk about Blockchain technology and how cryptocurrencies are very useful instruments in countries in crisis. Full interview here.
- Pedro Gutierrez, was also invited to a master class in the Systems Engineering Department at the Jose Tadeo Lozano University in Bogotá, where the best features of Catapult were announced.
Laura Angel BD Manager of Mexico, attended fintech week in Mexico.
Sasha Ivanova BD Manager of NEM, attended Blockchain Summit Uruguay with a Catapult presentation, NEM stand with new Catapult Spanish brochure, and Women in Blockchain Panel.
- Sasha Ivanova did a Catapult presentation in StartUp Grind Disruptive Blockchain, Santiago de Chile.
- Sasha Ivanova was interviewed by Cointelegraph where she talks about her experience in NEM Foundation and Catapult technology.
- Lecture on Digital Public Administration for the government officials studying at the National Academy for Public Administration under the President of Ukraine.
- Kristof Van De Rek attended Centre for European Policy Studies, EU’s leading independent think tank on Sept 10th. He had the opportunity to present some NEM projects to an audience that contained a high number of EU regulators and policy makers.
Get to Know the Foundation Series
Get to know the faces of the NEM Foundation leadership team in our ‘Meet the Team’ series. Each week we highlight a new team member that shares about their background and what they’re currently working on. So far the following profiles have been published with more to come so stay tuned!
- Jason Lee – Vice President
- Laura Takenaka – Secretary
- Jeff McDonald – Council Member
- Pedro Gutierrez – Council Member
- Steve Li – Council Member
- Anton Bosenko – Council Member
- Gregory Saive – Head Foundation Developer
- Dona Rinon – Treasurer
NEM Service Provider Portal Update
Labrys, devs studio from Australia, won the Contract for Trezor software integration with Catapult wallet.
RFP project here
Give a call for potential SP to register to and get information about future projects first https://nem.bonfirehub.com
Latest Partnership Updates
- Congratulations to ProximaX on the upcoming launch! 🚀 Together with Catapult, the upcoming full-featured core #NEM engine, we are excited to see the latest #Elephant Milestone update and how they can work together as the next gen technology! Stay tuned! About ProximaX 👉 here
Partner Highlight Series
- Learn more about the #Origins story, why they chose #NEM and what milestone did they completed recently 🚀 Click 👉 here to learn more.
- PuriPets is a crypto-game powered by NEM with collectible, blockchain assets in the form of adorable PuriPets, magical animals from a faraway land. Click 👉 here to start playing!
- He3Labs is an elite technology consultancy and development firm that assesses, architects, and develops blockchain solutions that bring the power of enterprise-level security, auditability, and scale to any organization. Visit 👉 here to learn more.
- Real estate transactions can be problematic. C-Estates is the solution. Learn how they can help here!
Buying property can now be hassle-free, all thanks to #Mhub! This NEM-powered platform closes gaps in property sales cycle and directly connects property sales teams, real estate agents, and bankers. To learn more, make sure to visit the website 👉 here
Verified Exchange Series
- ALFAcashier’s mission is to make money available everywhere in the world and offer quality currency exchange services. It lets you instantly buy, sell or exchange #NEM ($XEM) with other cryptocurrencies, USD or Euro! Click 👉 here to get started.
- We are proud to be the first multi-currency wallet to support NEM (XEM) on Trezor hardware devices 💪 You are welcome to try it right now at app.magnumwallet.co
If you are not sure how it works, we have prepared a step-by-step tutorial on How to manage your Trezor wallet using Magnum 😉
- VCC Exchange offers 0% transaction fee to all trading pairs. You can start trading NEM for free at https://vcc.exchange 🚀
- Get your $XEM through Binance and start trading with one of the biggest cryptocurrency exchanges in the world in terms of trading volume. Click 👉 here to get started.
- Bitbns (BITcoin Buy aNd Sell) is the fastest and simplest way to trade digital coins. Get your $XEM today! Click 👉 here to learn more.
- Indodax is the perfect place to buy and sell digital assets such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, NEM and Ripple in Indonesia. Buy $XEM with Rupiah now. Click 👉 here to get started.
- BitFexTrade is the first cryptocurrency exchange where development is based on the requirements of traders. With one of the lowest fees among crypto exchanges, start trading $XEM today! Click 👉 here
- Bithumb is one of the most reliable blockchain platforms to buy, sell, exchange and trade cryptocurrency. Get your $XEM with the safety of Bithumb’s most advanced security, click here
Core Devs on Social Networks
⚠️ Beware of scammers! The NEM Foundation Council Members and staff will never ask for coins 💰If you find something suspicious, please report at [email protected]
As always, we enjoy hearing from the community and welcome constructive feedback. Join the conversations across our social networks, such as our Telegram channels , our Facebook pages, or our Twitter feeds.
We look forward to more exciting updates to come, see you next month!