This is a joint message for our community on behalf of the Catapult Migration Group, comprised of The NEM Foundation, NEM Studios, NEM Ventures, and Tech Bureau Holdings.
Launch Date Targeting Q1 2020
What has been done to date:
- 02-07-2019 Migration Committee set up
- 15- 09-2019 Initial proposal posted
- 02-10-2019 Tokenomics drafted
- Oct 2019 FC Release F1
- Nov 2019 Decision has been made by migration team to support Opt-In.
- 18-11-2019 FC Internal Release F2
- 30-11-2019 Tokenomics recommendations made and shared to core
- 03- 12-2019 SDK Gateway F2 compatible RC Release
- 04-12-2019 Tokenomics recommendations shared with SuperNode holders for
- 06-12-2019 Tokenomics proposal shared on the Forum for comment
- 10-12-2019 F3 Compatible test network launched, including tokenomics proposal settings
- 12-12-2019 Latest compatible wallets released
- Current release is (0.8.9)
- 16-12-2019 Migration and Tokenomics Proposal POI voting commence
- 19-12-2019 Brand proposal will be released to the public for vote
- DEC 2019 Pen testing & review started
- 21-12-2019 Migration and Tokenomics Proposal POI voting closes
- 02-01-2020 Branding Proposal voting closes
- 30-01-2020 Branding guidelines/ toolset delivered
- Feb – Mar 2020 LAUNCH
- Mar 2020 Post launch re-evaluate and reconfirm future plans still stand
Based on the milestone timelines above, Catapult is still aiming for Q1 2020 launch. We will keep everyone posted as things progress.
Process For Catapult Launch
A common question from the community is in regards to what the process is for decision making to move the Catapult launch forward. This is the (high-level) recommendation from Foundation, Studios and Ventures to the core devs.
- Migration Committee forms an initial proposal for technical options, tokenomics and brand and shares with the community for feedback. Technical Options complete, Tokenomics and Brand ongoing, expected to complete in January.
- Feedback is absorbed and balanced between what is wanted and what is possible, across various stakeholder groups (Core Devs, Super Node Holders, Wider Community, NEM Entities, External Parties) and creates three proposals
- Two summary proposals encompassing all three elements is drafted and put to the community for a decision. One will encompass tokenomics and migration while the other will revolve around branding. If it is rejected then it will be reworked but this may impact Q1 2020 launch and that must be balanced to avoid as a priority
The migration team is proposing that every account has to opt-in to receive Catapult tokens. This includes multi-sig and non-multi-sig accounts. Accounts won’t receive Catapult tokens or multi-sig configurations unless they opt-in. Accounts can opt-in either before or after public chain launch. For those who wait until after launch, their Catapult tokens will be held in a nominated account until they are claimed when the owner opts-in. The process/entity for managing these unclaimed tokens will defined and communicated prior to launch. After a specified period (6 years is the current assumption due to statute of limitations) the proposal is to burn unclaimed tokens…
Technology and Development
Progress involving the development and technology workstreams are as follows:
Desktop Wallet: The latest version of the Desktop Wallet (v0.8.9) has been released which auto-connect to the latest version of the test network.
An early beta phase has been initiated for this project of which you can view the source code on Github: Here
Mobile Wallet: There is currently no public release for the Mobile Wallet yet but the package has been worked on and will be released in the form of an apk download for Android devices, and eventually made available via the Google Play Store and Apple Store App. (iOS)
- Trezor: The hardware wallet integration for Trezor in the Desktop Wallet has started and has made good progress. The team at Labrys is currently working on the firmware integration of Catapult for Trezor devices
- Ledger: A service provider of the NEM Foundation is also working on the integration of Catapult for Ledger hardware devices, this project is still in its early phase and has not been published yet.
REST & SDK The NEM Studios developers have completed the latest server compatibility changes. New SDK releases were made and the various clients have updated to them.
Review/Test The next phases of testing are beginning including new performance testing and penetration testing by a third party, as we begin the open bug bounty program on the security review platform HackerOne. These efforts will continue through release time.
Depending on the results of said testing, lead times may extend to ensure quality management.
- TestNet A new version of testnet is running and configurations based on the tokenomics proposal have been applied. All current and ongoing builds of the various clients will point to the network by default.
Exchange outreach for Catapult continues and has evolved into the Catapult Exchange Steering Committee led by Anton Bosenko, NEM Foundation Council Member. The Catapult Exchange Steering Committee also includes Alexandra Tinsman, Cryptobeliever, Jeff McDonald, Ъ!!!11, Greg Saive, Pedro Gutierez, and Flora Fang.
What has been done:
- Catapult pitch deck drafted
- Meeting with one of the Japanese exchanges scheduled
Work in progress:
- Finalisation of the pitch deck which will include information about:
- New project
- New tokenomic model
- High-level Marketing and PR plan
- Approach to liquidity
- NIS1 (XEM) support plan
- Integration technical information
- Conducting the meeting with one of the Japanese exchanges
- Getting feedback from the TIER 1 exchanges that lists XEM
Brand Strategy and Go-To-Market
Branding updates can be found in the NEM Forums here.
The brand proposal is is now available to the community! If you would like to see said proposal, or would like to be involved in the voting process, please click here.
Various members of the community, migration committee, and supernode holders group have expressed ideas/preferences. This information and various modelling has now been completed and compiled into a concrete proposal which has been reviewed by the Migration Committee, Core Team, SuperNode Group & the Community. It has been well received across the board and is now part of the PoI vote.
As a snippet of the general direction – the approach is:
- Continuing the supernode programme but gradually phasing it and making it more accessible to other community members
- Increasing the decentralisation/democratisation approach to node rewards/harvesting
- Creating a tokenomics plan which has longevity, for a chain that is going to be here for decades/generations to come
The details of these will be shared as below but feedback from the wider community, supernode holders, core team and migration committee all combine around these points.
- COMPLETE: A framework will be shared by MC representatives with a working group of long standing, significantly invested community members for input, it will be discussed for 1-2 weeks (shorter if possible) to identify a common position
- COMPLETE documented approach will be shared with Core Team and Migration Committee for review
- COMPLETE documented approach will be shared with the community, initially with the Super Node holders groups for a few days (04 Dec), then with the wider community (09 Dec). Several areas of the tokenomics impact Super Node holders differently to the wider community, they have representatives in the working group so this is to give chance to answer questions on those areas prior to general discussion/questions
- COMPLETE Assuming no major opposition, it will be included into the Migration Proposal. For more information on the released proposal, please go here.
Priority is being given to Catapult Tokenomics as they are more complex, NIS1 will start shortly and further information shared as possible.
The Migration Committee will be having a close out period for Christmas and the New Year, starting from the 24 Dec 2019 to the 2 Jan 2019. Updates will resume at the normal schedule on the week starting 6 Jan 2019.
Thanks for your continued support,