Follow the Google+ page or Twitter for the latest dev news.
This release of Litecoin Core is an important update, featuring the BIP65 (CLTV) consensus change and bug fixes. The most notable changes are outlined below.
BIP65 soft fork to enforce OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY opcode
This release includes several changes related to the BIP65 soft fork which redefines the existing OP_NOP2 opcode as OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY (CLTV) so that a transaction output can be made unspendable until a specified point in the future. This change paves the way for many new exciting features such as payment channels, time-locked refunds, escrow, two-factor wallets and is a major requirement for technologies like the lightning network.
- This release will only relay and mine transactions spending a CLTV output if they comply with the BIP65 rules as provided in code.
- This release will produce version 4 blocks by default. Please see the notice to miners below.
- Once 951 out of a sequence of 1,001 blocks on the local node’s best block chain contain version 4 (or higher) blocks, this release will no longer accept new version 3 blocks and it will only accept version 4 blocks if they comply with the BIP65 rules for CLTV.
For a detailed explanation about BIP65, you can view the documentation here.
Notice to miners:
Litecoin Core’s block templates are now for version 4 blocks only, and any mining software relying on its getblocktemplate must be updated in parallel to use libblkmaker either version v0.4.3 or any version from v0.5.2 onward.
- If you are solo mining, this will affect you the moment you upgrade Litecoin Core, which must be done prior to BIP65 achieving its 951/1001 status.
- If you are a P2Pool user, you must upgrade to the latest version which can be obtained from here.
- If you are mining with the stratum mining protocol: this does not affect you.
- If you are mining with the getblocktemplate protocol to a pool: this will affect you at the pool operator’s discretion, which must be no later than BIP65 achieving its 951/1001 status.
You can track the progress of the soft fork roll out via this link:
Windows bug fix for corrupted UTXO database on unclean shutdowns
Several Windows users reported that they often need to reindex the entire blockchain after an unclean shutdown of Litecoin Core on Windows (or an unclean shutdown of Windows itself). Although unclean shutdowns remain unsafe, this release no longer relies on memory-mapped files for the UTXO database, which significantly reduced the frequency of unclean shutdowns leading to required reindexes during testing.
All users using versions older then Litecoin Core 0.10.2.2 MUST upgrade to ensure that your signatures are encoded using ‘low-s’ ECDSA signature encoding scheme. Otherwise you run the risk of your transactions not being relayed once all miners upgrade.
If you use Electrum, a release candidate version has also been released which ensures all transactions abide by the ‘low-s’ ECDSA encoding scheme. The release candidate version for Electrum can be found here.
If you use the Litecoin Android wallet, and are running an older version then 3.30.10. You will need to upgrade to 3.30.10 which can be found here.
Despite this version being heavily tested, this version may contain bugs. Always back up your wallet.dat file before upgrading. If you encounter any issues, please let us know by posting to the bug reporting section below.
Please use GPG to verify the integrity of the release binaries. This ensures that the binary you have downloaded has not been tampered with. Linux, MacOS and Win32 cygwin command line GPG instructions are available here. Please also note that we GPG sign the binaries as a convenience to you, the ultimate way to verify the integrity of the builds is to build them yourself using Gitian. Instructions on how to perform these builds, can be found here.
For this release, the binaries have been signed with key identifier FE3348877809386C.
The master-0.10 branch contains the latest commits to the next stable releases of Litecoin Core.
Sign up for announcements only or development discussion.
Discuss Litecoin 0.10.4.0 in this forum thread.